Monday, March 27, 2006

Something to write about...

Glancing at my previous post, it seems that it’s been eight months since I last sat down and wrote something for this blog. Remarkable really, given that I’ve been technically unemployed all that time. Or, as my colleague insists on calling it, ‘retired’. I mean, really, if anything is likely to inspire you to sit down and gush forth all your thoughts and (largely received) opinions on the world it’s a big wedge of doing-nothing time. But no.

Actually, it’s a bit of a lie to say I’ve done nothing for the last eight months. I’m unemployed in the sense that I don’t do a nine-to-five job for a company, but I am working sporadically as a teacher trainer in various parts of the world. I went to Costa Rica for a month to do a course. And South Korea. Now, you would think such exotic locations would inspire all kinds of musings and reflections on the nature of the world, but again, no.

See, there is a bit of a problem with me having a blog. As far as I can see there are two kinds of blogs: the kind which you write to keep your friends and family up to date with your life and are full of utterly impenetrable comments that can only be understood if you know the person (‘hey, Judy love the mouse trousers and keep sending the cookies…LOL’). Really no point in me writing that kind as my family were officially voted ‘The Family Least Likely to Read a Blog If Written By One of Their Relatives’ and my best friend only lives a kilometer away and we see each other every couple of days. The other kind is where you assume you have something interesting to say and people might want to take a peek at whatever’s leaking out of your brain that day. The problem with this kind is that – and this is quite tricky to actually admit – I’m not sure I really have that many thoughts. No, I take that back, I have lots of thoughts during the day, but that are staggeringly mundane. I mean, yesterday, the biggest decision I had to make was whether to watch Spielberg’s Munich on DVD or not. That process took about an hour (in case you’re wondering, the decision was no, but I’ll keep you updated). This is not something the world wants to hear. Oh, and I also had a thought about Shakira’s breasts after seeing one of her videos on TV, but again, I’m not really feeling the words ‘bated breath’ if I wrote that one down either.

No, I’ve decided to keep writing this damn blog as a way of stopping myself from spending one hour thinking about whether to watch a DVD or not or wondering about the exact nipple dimensions of Columbia’s favourite songstress (though I don’t actually think that’s a bad thing to think about every now or then).

I just need to find something to damn well write about….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home